Have you seen the well-to-do, up and down Park Avenue
On that famous thoroughfare, with their noses in the air
High hats and Arrow collars, white spats and lots of dollars
Spending every dime, for a wonderful time
If you’re blue and you don’t know where to go to
Why don’t you go where fashion sits,
Puttin’ on the ritz.
Was there any modern period more opulent than the roaring 20s? With sexy short haired flappers and men with walking sticks, silver cigarette cases, fringed collars, beaded handbags and lips so perfectly puckered they would make any Instagrammer jealous. It was the life of luxury and glam!
A Roaring ’20s Themed Party
A few weeks back I was invited by the Savoia 4 Star Luxury Hotel in Rimini to attend a roaring ’20s themed party for hundreds of bloggers from around the globe. Part of the evening’s events was the opportunity to dress in a vintage costume and have a private photo-shoot with fashion photographer Giulia Ripalti.
I could not resist! We went out onto the glass rooftop on top of the Atrium and I pretended for a few moments that I was someone of class, someone of distinction…..a woman fit for this dress!
I had a very good time having my picture taken by a professional and trying on the costumes and I was reminded of when a good friend of mine was surprised by her husband for her birthday.
My friend Alessio surprised his wife Raffaella by planning a huge, surprise Great Gatsby bash for her birthday and he pulled out ALL the stops, custom made invitations, a live band decor and of course he bought her a stunning beaded gown to wear to the event! You’ll also notice from the pictures that my friend Raffaella is a FOX!!
Come let’s mix where Rockefellers walk with sticks…
Everyone at the birthday party was invited to dress up in 1920s garb and they really dressed up! I’m not talking about cheap Hallowe’en costumes with fake pearls and polyester, I’m talking about the real McCoy, vintage designer gowns, original antique purses and semi precious stones galore!
Which reminded me that it is actually NOT that hard to find real vintage designer 1920s inspired dresses online. For example did you know that luxury online retailer Farfetch has a whole section of their website dedicated to designer vintage items?
If I was the Costume Designer for a scene in The Great Gatsby my sexy flappers would be wearing the BEST of the BEST. In fact I’ve lived out my little fantasy virtually and come up with these 7 looks for ladies of style from one of fashion’s most iconic moments! All of the pieces were found on Farfetchand all of the dresses are VINTAGE!
Dressing the Part – An Iconic Moment in Fashion
I had a lot of fun putting these looks together and did not let budget limit my imagination or selection of products. 7 flappers, 7 sexy ladies, living the highlife and drinking champagne surrounded by art deco fixtures and music to move to.
My personal favorite is Lady N°4, which is yours? Until I have the chance to live out a moment like this in real life, I will be happy with my 1920s fashion shoot rendez-vous that had me feeling like a million bucks and humming “puttin’ on the ritz”!
Feel free to follow Reasons to Dress on Bloglovin’ so you never miss a post!
Links à la Mode, October 22
- 30 Shades of Stephanie: Coffee Dates with Luke Danes
- A Handful of Stories: What I’m Wearing to Stalk You
- Attire Club: Timeless and Trendy? A Look at Mens 1990’s Fashion
- Denchibitionist: Personal Hotspot
- Fash Illuminous: Trend Alert | Suede Culottes
- Hey Just Jei: Androgynous Guide | Suitable Last Minute Halloween Costume Ideas
- Lady Goodman: Shoesday | Dolce Vita’s Ileen Booties
- La Vintage Vida: The Fitting Room Chronicles | Channeling Louise Brooks
- Miss Trend She: 10 Cliche New York Goals
- Modavracha: Saddle Bags | The It Bags for Fall
- Mornings with Madge: Dracula’s Kiss Cocktail Recipe
- Ms. FABulous: Cosplay Trends of NY Comic-Con 2015
- My Fashion S/ash Life: Ask Biki | How Do I Get a Fashion Magazine Editorial Internship?
- Our Infinity: 6 Easy Tips to Improve Your Photography
- Prime Butterfly: The Thing About Feature Sites…
- Reasons to Dress: The Great Gatsby of Style | What to Wear to a 1920’s Themed Party!
- Sassy Ethnic Bohemian: Trends | Are Black Women Back from the Dead?
- Tales of Two: A Glimpse into the Heart of Lucknow, India | What to Do, Eat and See
- Vestiaire Noir: Louis and Loubis | The Origin of the Infamous Red Sole
- We Are Ready Made: Afterhomework(Paris)